Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Beyond Hope is Action

Like so many Americans, I was inspired by the inauguration of our new President, Barack Obama. My initial impression is that he is an eloquent speaker, a caring soul and a thoughtful leader. His comprehension of the complex issues related to governing this great nation appears to be strong and he seems poised to foster an improved level of cooperation and bipartisanship among our lawmakers.

Millions of Americans flocked to Washington, D.C. for one of the greatest celebrations of the 21rst century. In Barack Obama's inaugural address, he said, “We have chosen hope over fear,” yet he was also sobering in reminding us of the challenges that remain, both from an economic and a national security standpoint.

It was a historic day on January 20, 2009 and it was a great day for the United States of America. “Hope” was a word that was used quite a bit throughout the day. It is a beautiful word that spurs dreams of promise and opportunity. It can be used as a noun or a verb. We can possess hope or we can hope something will happen (thanks Ms. Lierni, Oak Tree Elementary School).

President Obama can inspire us with hope the noun, but if we utilize hope the verb too much, nothing will get accomplished. Hope is not an action verb; it is a passive verb (thanks Ms. Ward, John Adams Junior High). I can hope I don't get hit by a train, but I will if I just sit on the tracks and hope. I have to move, jump, run, walk or take some other action beyond hope if I am going to survive.

As we take to heart the inspiring words of our new President, the reality is that if we expect things to change we have to take action and not just hope for change. Barack Obama also added, “Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America - they will be met.”

While some people may have listened to his words and heard a promise, I heard a call to action. He went further to remind us of the words that George Washington spoke during the Revolutionary War, before his famous crossing of the Delaware River, "Let it be told to the future world...that in the depth of winter, when nothing but hope and virtue could survive...that the city and the country, alarmed at one common danger, came forth to meet (it)."

It was a historical day for our nation, yesterday and many of us were inspired and filled with hope. Yet President Obama alone will not solve our problems. We can hold on to the hope from his message, but beyond that we all need to use our minds, our strengths and our passions to meet the challenges facing our nation. There is nothing stopping us from making tomorrow another historical day with a new accomplishment of grand scale.

How does this relate to small business? Well, I have to admit I am slightly off topic again. Yet our economy is driven by small businesses and I am tasked with helping our clients operate more successful businesses. To me, President Obama's call to action has only inspired me further to do my part and help our clients bring their dreams to a successful business reality. It starts with hope, but the achievement only comes with a good plan and a commitment to action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I couldn't agree more. I typically don't get worked up about politics but this year I did. Maybe it's because he seems to care...seems real...seems to want to do something about our situation. What I got from his speech is that we all have to help get us out of this mess...one man alone can't do it. Millions together can.