Thursday, August 14, 2008

Magic Story

As a new resident of the North Country, I am doing what most people who relocate to a community do…I am exploring the area. I have the opportunity to meet wonderful people and visit exciting new places.

With this exploration, comes the exposure to many business owners, both large and small. After all, our family is filled with consumers. We need groceries, clothes, sporting equipment, toys, haircuts, medical check-ups, dental work, eyeglasses, restaurants, etc…well, the list goes on and the purpose of this post is not to make me cringe at my household budget expenditures; The point is that I am a potential new customer for many small businesses and this is an opportunity for me to share some perspectives on marketing.

Whenever I talk about marketing, I use a quote from Dale Carnegie, “human beings are not creatures of logic; they are creatures of emotion.” To get a customer to purchase from your business, you have to appeal to their emotions. In my initial contacts with some businesses, I am actually quite surprised at how many businesses don't seem to care whether they make a sale to me or not. I've actually gone to a few places with every intention of making a purchase, only to change my mind because there was no effort from the sales staff to provides some attention or even acknowledgment of my presence.

Marketing is not just putting an advertisement in the newspaper, on the radio or creating a business card. That may be a component of it, but there is more to marketing then sending out a message. The goal of your marketing efforts should be to generate sales. To be more effective in generating sales, your business should have a “Magic Story.”

A magic story is a short description of what your business has to offer. It should be focused on how your business can benefit the customer. You are on the supply side of the economic chart, but unless there is demand, you are not going to make a sale. Your magic story should help enhance the demand.

Consumers have a choice of where they spend their money. Your goal as the business owner is to give them a compelling reason why they should spend their money at your business rather than at a competitor’s business. So if I were to walk into your establishment, what would you tell me to make me a customer?

Touch on emotions. What descriptors will you use to describe what makes your products or services special? You would be amazed at how a few well chosen words can make the difference between getting someone to know about you and someone wanting to do business with you. Love, delicious, savory, safe, beautiful, artisan, handmade, crafted, comfortable, sleek, smooth, passion are just a few examples of “power words” that tend to garner an emotional response from people.

You also want to be a good editor in creating your magic story. Can you tell me what is special about your business in two sentences or less? Most customers have a short attention span. Be concise and to the point. And remember, the point is to be customer focused.

With everything in marketing, it is important to test your choices with a sampling of potential customers. After all, you don’t succeed in business by making sales to yourself. How do others respond to your message?

I encourage you to work on your magic story. Create excitement, desire and sales!

“Advertising is the “wonder” in Wonder Bread.” Jef I. Richards

No comments: